As I wrote a few days ago, I have given up booze for 30 days. This shouldn’t be too onerous – but I keep coming across situations when a nice glass of wine would not go amiss……
- Half term. Juggling 4 kids and work over half term is fun. The nanny being on holiday for the week is making it even ‘funn-er’. Doing all of this whilst knowing I won’t be sinking into a large
glassbottle of wine each night is just like the funn-est thing ever……………….
- My sister visiting. I have 2 sisters, and the middle one of us has the occasional glass of wine, but isn’t the hardened drinker that the youngest sister and I are. My little sister (she is 35 before you get the impressions she’s underage!) did ‘dry January’ this year and reckons it was one of the toughest things she’s ever done – and made her think about booze ALL OF THE TIME. She came to visit on Saturday, and normally we’d share a bottle of prosecco or two – but this time I wasn’t drinking!! My brother in law tried to get me to drink ‘Go on, have a drink, we won’t tell anyone’ and ‘Have a drink now and just add on an extra day at the end’ – but I held strong – just look at me with my mug of tea whilst the BIL is on the beer!!
- Christmas cake making. In fact, anything Christmas related. The reason the aforementioned sister was visiting is that we make Christmas cakes with all of the kids each year. I am renowned for my lack of Christmas spirit – which I offset with spirits during the cake baking process – but not this year.
- 4 year old’s birthday party. I was attending this party as a punter – and it almost drove me to gin. I have realised that my own youngest daughter’s 4th birthday party – to be held at the same soft play centre – is going to be within my 30 abstemious days. Oh dear………….
- Parties in general. I spent Sunday afternoon at a party where all of my friends were drinking beer / wine / prosecco / gin – and it was very hard to resist! But seeing as the guest of honour at the party was Finlay – whose fundraising I am supporting with my attempt – I couldn’t really fall off the wagon!
I fear I am not cut out for a tee total life of sobriety forever. Still time to sponsor this effort if you so wish?! My mother told my yesterday that if I actually manage this (nice faith in me there parentals!) they will make a sizeable donation!!
Just the 20 days to go………………